Fire guts central Korat market

Fire guts central Korat market

Fire rages through Mae Kim Heng market in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Sunday night. (Photo by Prasit Tangprasert)
Fire rages through Mae Kim Heng market in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Sunday night. (Photo by Prasit Tangprasert)

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: Fire caused by a transformer explosion caused about 50 million baht damage to Mae Kim Heng market on Sunday night, the provincial governor said.

The transformer in front of the market opposite the Thao Suranaree monument in Muang district exploded  about 8.15pm. The sparks set fire to a nearby flower stall where a lot of styrofoam was stored and the blaze  spread rapidly through the market. 

As cooking gas cylinders began exploding, panicking vendors tried to save their goods.

About 30 fire engines and crews from Muang and surrounding disitricts were rushed to the scene. 

Most of the roof over the four-rai market collapsed. The fire also damaged two adjacent commercial buildings. Fire fighters took over an hour to control the blaze.

Nakhon Ratchasima governor Wichian Chantaranothai said more than 30 stalls were burnt-out. He  estimated the damage at 50 million baht.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT
TRENDING

Indian man wins 22-year court fight for 20 rupees

A lawyer who won a 22-year court battle for compensation from Indian Railways after being overcharged 20 rupees (9 baht) said on Friday that his quest for justice was worth the effort.

12 Aug 2022

Global LGBT event scrapped over Taiwan name flap

TAIPEI: An international LGBT gathering in Taiwan has been cancelled after its global organisers demanded the removal of the self-ruled island’s name from the 2025 event — a move denounced by the government.

12 Aug 2022

Five Chinese firms to exit US stock market

SHANGHAI: Five major Chinese companies including two of the country’s largest oil producers will delist from the New York Stock Exchange, the firms said in filings on Friday.

12 Aug 2022