All but one Wuhan returnee cleared of Covid-19

All but one Wuhan returnee cleared of Covid-19

Dr Hansa Raksakhom, director of Office of Disease Prevention and Control 6, announces the present status of the 138 returnees from Wuhan city, at Sattahip naval base in Chon Buri province on Tuesday. (Photo by Chaiyot Pupattanapong)
Dr Hansa Raksakhom, director of Office of Disease Prevention and Control 6, announces the present status of the 138 returnees from Wuhan city, at Sattahip naval base in Chon Buri province on Tuesday. (Photo by Chaiyot Pupattanapong)

CHON BURI: One of the 138 quarantined Thai returnees from Wuhan showed a small presence of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19), but the others were healthy and ready to be discharged from quarantine, a senior health official said on Tuesday.

Dr Hansa Raksakhom, director of Office of Disease Prevention and Control 6 in Chon Buri, was speaking at the Sattahip naval base, where they are being kept in isolation.

One patient remained at Chon Buri Hospital, she said. An earlier test found a low level of the virus. The patient was being treated well and it was hoped they could be cleared and discharged along with the 137 other returnees on Wednesday.

"The last laboratory test found Covid-19. We are closely monitoring the case and hope that this Thai person can go home along with the other 137 people who will head home on February 19," Dr Hansa said.

A sample was collected from the hospitalised patient's nasal cavity on Monday, and the result of this  latest test would be known on Tuesday afternoon, she said.

Four other returnees who were ill had already fully recovered and been discharged from hospital.

Dr Hansa confirmed the returnees had received the best treatment, in a hygienic environment, during their 14-day quarantine at the Sattahip naval base and some local hospitals since their arrival on Feb 4.

The returnees were stranded in Wuhan city, the epicentre of Covid-19 epidemic, when the Chinese government locked it down on Jan 23.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (4)

US economy purged 17m jobs amid pandemic

WASHINGTON: US unemployment is rising at a jarring rate, with data Thursday showing 17 million have lost their jobs since mid-March, as officials scramble to apply a tourniquet to stem the damage from the coronavirus pandemic.

9 Apr 2020

World faces new 'Great Depression' as virus toll mounts

BRUSSELS: World powers scrambled on Thursday to build a global response to the human tragedy and once-in-a-century economic catastrophe caused by the coronavirus epidemic, as death tolls in the US and Europe soared higher.

9 Apr 2020

Registration for free mobile internet starts Friday

The telecom regulator has given more details and tips on registering for 30-day free mobile internet and broadband speed upgrade ahead of the registration on Friday.

9 Apr 2020