Dept wants pregnant workers to stay home

Dept wants pregnant workers to stay home

The Department of Health is proposing a new regulation that will require all pregnant women to work from home to help curb Covid-19 infections and death rates among this vulnerable group.

The proposal will be submitted to the Public Health Ministry's committee on emergency medical and public health operations, said Dr Sopon Mekthon, assistant to the public health minister, yesterday.

At a meeting on Thursday, the ministry discussed problems about caring for pregnant women who face a Covid-19 death rate 2.5 times higher than most other groups of people, Dr Sopon said.

This matter is devastating as it is not only the mothers who die but also their unborn babies, he said.

"The main problem now is fears among pregnant women about possible side effects of Covid-19 vaccines [which deter many of them from getting jabbed]," Dr Sopon said.

Another problem is healthcare facilities that offer prenatal care services failing to refer Covid-19 infected pregnant women to larger facilities capable of handling their deliveries, he said.

A group of health advocates calling for better care of pregnant women during the pandemic, said many infected women have been rejected by their prenatal care providers who claim they weren't able to handle deliveries for Covid-19 infected mothers.

Chari Sisawat, an activist, said such healthcare providers should transfer their patients to a healthcare facility that can.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Workers race to keep oil from Rayong shores

RAYONG: Hundreds of workers set up oil barriers along beachfronts in this eastern province on Friday as authorities raced to limit the environmental damage from oil that leaked from an underwater pipeline earlier this week.

28 Jan 2022

Taxman to go easy on crypto traders

The Finance Ministry plans to ease tax rules for investments in digital assets, a senior official said on Friday, following a surge in crytocurrency trading.

28 Jan 2022

Hong Kong's best-known travel agency folds after 50 years

HONG KONG: One of Hong Kong's best-known tour operators has decided to wind up after 50 years of business and amid the worsening Omicron outbreak, with an industry leader expecting the travel sector's woes to continue for the rest of 2022 at least.

28 Jan 2022