Two burned as borehole catches fire

Two burned as borehole catches fire

Men were drilling for water in Krabi when they struck gas at 400 metres

Two workers were severely burned on Saturday in Krabi after they struck gas that caught fire while they were drilling a borehole for water.

The incident took place at a rubberwood factory owned by Paradome Co Ltd in tambon Krabi Noi of Muang district in the southern province.

Police and firefighters who arrived on the scene found a drilling rig in flames near the site. The two injured workers were rushed to Krabi Hospital.

Firefighters battled the blaze with water and chemicals, which took about three hours. A team from the Mineral Resources Department reported that biogas may have escaped from the hole. The well was sealed with concrete to prevent further gas leaks.

A worker told police the factory hired Water Group Chatnakornbadan Co Ltd to drill for groundwater to find a new water source.

When the workers had drilled to about 400 metres, the well caught fire.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (15)

Online gambling ring busted in Nakhon Sawan

NAKHON SAWAN: Five men have been arrested in Nakhon Sawan on charges of operating a website for a major online gambling network that had more than one billion baht in circulation, police said on Saturday.

19:56

Crypto crash

Bitcoin has now shed more than 50% from its record high in November while adding further momentum to the latest meltdown in cryptocurrencies.

19:00

Sadom tied for Singapore Open lead

SINGAPORE: Thailand’s Sadom Kaewkanjana fired a bogey-free 65 to haul himself into contention and share the third-round lead at 11-under par with American Sihwan Kim at the SMBC Singapore Open on Saturday.

18:31