Woman loses eye to rare worm disease

Woman loses eye to rare worm disease

PHITSANULOK: A state official has gone permanently blind in one eye after contracting a rare disease caught through habitually eating uncooked food.

The 40-year-old official, whose name was withheld, is the province's first confirmed case of Angiostrongyliasis, also known as rat lungworm, according to Naresuan University Hospital (NUH). No more than 50 people worldwide have caught the disease, NUH said.

The case was announced at the university by doctors who treated the woman.

Dr Sirinan Triyavechakul, who supervises the case, said the woman complained of blurry vision for about a week before seeking treatment.

A close-up examination revealed an infected eye caused by the disease that typically affects the brain and spinal cord.

Dr Sirinan said the disease is most commonly found among people in the Northeast where Khon Kaen University's hospital has treated 18 patients with Angiostrongyliasis.

Dr Kanin Luengsawang, a specialist at the NUH, said the official was treated with anti-parasitic drugs and antibiotics. She underwent surgery in which a 0.5-cm parasite was removed from her eye. He said surgery failed to save the woman's sight in the infected eye which was severely damaged by the worm.

Dr Kanin said the worms are usually found in the lungs of rats. The worms' larvae are passed from the rats through their droppings. Once the worms mature, they find their way into freshwater shellfish and shrimps which are often made into popular dishes and eaten raw.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT

Korea held responsible for 1968 massacre in Vietnam

A court in Seoul on Tuesday delivered a landmark ruling holding the South Korean government accountable for a massacre committed by its soldiers in the Vietnam War, ordering it to pay compensation.

21:16

PTTEP expects sales record in 2023

PTT Exploration and Production Plc (PTTEP) expects its sales of oil and gas this year will reach a new high of 470,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boed), driven by gas supply from the Erawan field in the Gulf of Thailand.

20:54

Parents warned: Pot snacks and kids don't mix

A doctor is warning parents to be cautious with cannabis-infused products, after an eight-year-old girl was admitted to hospital after developing a serious adverse reaction to gummy candies containing an extract of the plant.

20:42