Warne's body to be sent home for funeral

Warne's body to be sent home for funeral

Warne: Had heart problems
Warne: Had heart problems

The body of former Australia cricket star Shane Keith Warne, who is thought to have died of a heart attack after being found unconscious in a villa on Koh Samui last Friday, will be repatriated after an autopsy.

The 52-year-old body was taken from Thai International Hospital Samui to Surat Thani Hospital at 12.30pm for an autopsy, Pol Col Yuttana Sirisombat, superintendent of Bo Phut police on Koh Samui, said on Sunday.

The transfer was carried out by sea via Seatran Ferry Co under the supervision of the Australian Ambassador to Thailand Allan McKinnon.

Initially, a medical background check found he had asthma and heart disease. Additionally, he had shown signs of chest tightness while he was still in Australia.

Relatives of the former national cricketing star are coordinating with the embassy to fly him home ahead of a state funeral, Pol Col Yuttana said.

Earlier on Saturday, Mr McKinnon and Australian Consul-General to Phuket Matthew Barclay were briefed by Pol Col Yuttana, who is in charge of the case.

All the members of Warne's travelling party as well as two hotel employees and four masseurs have also been summoned for questioning.

The player -- one of the greatest Test cricketers of all time -- had checked in at Samujana Villas in tambon Bo Phut last Thursday.

After Warne tested negative for Covid-19 with an RT-PCR test on the following day, he went out to a nearby suit store at about 1pm and called a masseur to the resort at about 3pm.

Warne's friends later called him to have dinner at 5pm, but he was found unconscious.

Warne was rushed to the hospital about 6pm, but his manager said that despite medical efforts to save him "he could not be revived".

The investigator confirmed no signs of struggle were found at the scene and said there were no narcotic substances found in Warne's room.

The autopsy result is pending.

Do you like the content of this article?