Kamnan surrenders after 'ordering' officer's killing
text size

Kamnan surrenders after 'ordering' officer's killing

An influential kamnan (subdistrict head) in Nakhon Pathom surrendered to police yesterday after a gunman killed a highway police officer and injured another following an argument over a promotion at the kamnan's home late on Wednesday night.

Praween: 'Ordered' shooting

Praween Chankhlai, alias Kamnan Nok, turned himself in to Nakhon Pathom police late yesterday afternoon, not long after they obtained a warrant for his arrest for ordering the shootings. The gunman, Thananchai Manmak, 45, who works for Mr Praween, remains at large.

Eyewitnesses have told investigators that the shootings took place after a request by Mr Praween for the transfer of his nephew, who is a policeman, was rebuffed, said Pol Lt Gen Jirabhop Bhuridej, commander of the Central Investigation Bureau.

Officers from the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) and Provincial Police Region 7 have been deployed to various locations in Nakhon Pathom and nearby provinces to search for the gunman, said Pol Maj Gen Montree Theskhan, the CSD commander.

According to a witness, Kamnan Nok had invited a group of highway policemen to his house in tambon Takong in Muang district to build some rapport. Two of the officers in the group were Pol Maj Sivakorn Saibua, chief of highway police station 1 under the Highway Police Sub-division 2, and Pol Lt Col Wasin Panpee, deputy commander of the Highway Police Sub-division 2.

Thananchai: Gunman at large

Pol Lt Gen Jirabhop said that at around 10pm, Mr Praween argued with Pol Maj Sivakorn after Mr Praween tried to talk him into switching his policeman nephew from a patrol car assignment to one with a motorcycle patrol squad. Pol Maj Sivakorn rejected the request. He reportedly said promotions must adhere to regulations and be based on performance.

According to reports, Mr Praween then became angry, pounded his fist on the table and walked away. Five minutes later, Mr Thananchai appeared and started shooting. Pol Maj Sivakorn sustained seven gunshot wounds and later succumbed to his injuries. Pol Lt Col Wasin was shot in the left arm and was admitted to a hospital.

Do you like the content of this article?