Seh Daeng case to be re-opened

Seh Daeng case to be re-opened

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung on Friday ordered a reopening of the investigation into the assassination of leading red-shirt member Khattiya Sawatdiphol, widely known as Seh Daeng.

Khattiya Sawatdiphol, aka Seh Daeng (Photo by Apichart Jinakul)

Mr Chalerm said he had ordered police investigators to dust off Maj Gen Khattiya’s case dossier because new evidence had emerged. 

It now appeared the two bullets that hit Seh Daeng were fired from an unidentified location in front of the Dusit Thani Hotel, on Sala Daeng intersection, Silom, not from the vicinity of Chulalongkorn Hospital, on the opposite corner of the intersection, according to Mr Chalerm.

After the shooting, a police officer attached to the Metropolitan Police Bureau made a phone call to another officer in another province to inform him that Seh Daeng was dead.  However, further investigation was needed before police could seek arrest warrants, he said.

Seh Daeng was head of the Red Guard.

Mr Chalerm claimed investigators could identify all the suspects in the case. He said some police officers who were “dressed in black” were likely to have been involved.   

Last month, Mr Chalerm also claimed a group of senior police officers were behind the killing of Seh Daeng.

Seh Daeng was shot in the head by an unidentified sniper as he concluded an interview with foreign reporters at Sala Daeng intersection during the political violence on May 13, 2010. He died four days later.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (15)

Two Thai doubles pairs survive at World Tour Finals

Two doubles pairs from Thailand have advanced to the semi-finals of the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals following a busy day at Nimibutr Stadium in Bangkok on Friday.

9 Dec 2022

Army hospital first stop for freed athlete Griner

American basketball star Brittney Griner arrived back in the United States on Friday morning after being released from a Russian prison in exchange for Victor Bout, an arms dealer known as the “Merchant of Death”.

9 Dec 2022

Second move

Graft busters petition court to sack suspended cabinet minister and accused land encroacher Kanokwan Vilawan and ban her from politics for up to 10 years.

9 Dec 2022