Koh Tao duo's detention extended

Koh Tao duo's detention extended

Two Myanmar men being held in the Koh Tao double-murder case will be spending at least 12 more days incarcerated after the Koh Samui Provincial Court approved prosecutors’ second request to hold them.

Paiboon Achawananthakhun of the Office of Public Prosecution Region 8 told Thai Rath Online that prosecutors led by director-general Thawatchai Siangjaew still have not made a decision on whether to indict, but they needed to hold suspects Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun until they do.

The delay is due to additional police investigation ordered by prosecutors in the wake of international criticism of the police's handling of the killings of Britons Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.

It was reported that prosecutors had asked investigators to seek written proof from British authorities to confirm that a mobile phone police said to belonged to Miller was really his.

Mr Paiboon said prosecutors would conclude later whether to order a probe into the suspects' accusation that they had been assaulted by a Myanmar interpreter.

As for a petition filed by the suspects' parents seeking justice for their sons, the Samui state prosecutior's office said it would forward the plea to the Office of the Attorney General for consideration.

Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun have been detained for 24 days. The law allowed them to be held for 84 days and if prosecutors fail to indict them within that time they will be released.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (7)

US unveils next-generation stealth bomber

LOS ANGELES: The United States has unveiled the B-21 Raider, a high-tech stealth bomber that can carry nuclear and conventional weapons and is designed to be able to fly without a crew on board.

3 Dec 2022

Global goods trade forecast to shrink in 2023

The global goods trade will shrink next year in a downturn reminiscent of previous recessions, Oxford Economics said, in a worrying forecast for Asia’s export-dependent economies and beyond.

3 Dec 2022

Football legend Pele 'receiving palliative care'

SAO PAULO: Brazilian football legend Pele is receiving palliative care after chemotherapy stopped having the expected results as he battles colon cancer, the newspaper Folha de S.Paulo reported on Saturday.

3 Dec 2022