Paiboon: Embassies replied to letters about lese majeste

Paiboon: Embassies replied to letters about lese majeste

There has been a "positive response" to letters sent to the ambassadors of seven countries where lese majeste suspects are sheltering, Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya said on Wednesday.

Gen Paiboon last week said he had signed letters to the ambassadors of seven countries that 19 lese majeste suspects had fled to, asking for their cooperation in regard to extradition requests.

According to a Justice Ministry source, the seven countries included the United States, France, Australia, Japan and New Zealand.

Gen Paiboon said the ambassaders of those countries had replied directly to him.  

Each of those countries had become more aware of the problem and its root causes, and understood the ongoing situation in Thailand. However, they had a problem regarding international law.

The justice minister said the cooperation and understanding of those countries is necessary in lessening the problem and deterring suspects from continuing to give offence. It was hard to change their attitude, Gen Paiboon said.

Asked if it was likely the suspects would be extradited to Thailand for trial, Gen Paiboon said he remained hopeful but admitted there were legal issues.

"The prime minister has said he does want to see people quarrel.  If we attach no importance to their campaigning on the social media, they will soon vanish from the social world," the justice minister said.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (20)

Rights groups petition Supreme Court for bail reform

Eight human rights and democracy organisations submitted an open letter to the president of the Supreme Court on Thursday asking it to release detained political activists and to review court regulations on bail conditions.

2 Feb 2023

Frenchman claiming police ties nabbed for extortion

A French fugitive has been arrested after allegedly claiming close connections with senior police officers to extort money from many expats in Pattaya.

2 Feb 2023

Online lotto chief charged with overpricing

The embattled chief executive of the Kong Salak Plus online lottery platform reported to police on Thursday to acknowledge charges of selling tickets at more than face value. He denied all charges and accused police of intimidating his clients.

2 Feb 2023