Prayut still coy on future as premier
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday any party that wants him to be their prime ministerial candidate in the next election should meet him and formally extend an invitation.
The premier was responding after key Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP) figures expressed their intent to name him as one of their prime ministerial candidate ahead of the poll in late February.
Parties can nominate up to three candidates to be voted for by the House of Representatives after the general election.
The pro-regime PPRP has consolidated former MPs with the help of the Sam Mitr (Three Allies) group which has since merged with the party.
Gen Prayut said so far, he has not been approached by any party to stand as their candidate, so it would be pointless to speak about it in the media.
He said he may have "something" on his mind regarding the nomination, "But that is best known to me," Gen Prayut said.
The prime minister insisted he would talk about the issue again when the time comes. "There is still time for that," he said.
Also Tuesday, the premier denied the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), which he leads, has meddled with the Election Commission (EC) through the invocation of its latest Section 44 order.
The order permits the EC to make changes to constituency boundaries until Dec 11, which is much later than expected, and some politicians and critics fear it may be an attempt by the regime to interfere with the process.
However, Gen Prayut explained the order was meant to address potential problems with the demarcation of constituencies and allow the EC to act with prudence by gathering comprehensive input from parties before they decide on the new boundaries, Gen Prayut said.