Collective brainstorming needed to solve Thailand's problems: Poll

Collective brainstorming needed to solve Thailand's problems: Poll

Protesters brave light rain during a pro-democracy rally at Sanam Luang on Sept 19, 2020. (Photo by Apichit Jinakul)
Protesters brave light rain during a pro-democracy rally at Sanam Luang on Sept 19, 2020. (Photo by Apichit Jinakul)

A majority of people say the country should unite to brainstorm ideas to resolve longstanding conflicts, according to a survey by the Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, or Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll was conducted online on Sept 23-25 on 1,263 people throughout the country to gauge their opinions on the conflicts dividing the country.

Asked if it is now time for all concerned to think up new ways to overcome the longstanding disputes, a huge majority -- 91.87% -- of respondents said "yes", while only 8.13% said otherwise.

Asked to suggest solutions, with each respondent allowed to give more than one answer, 88.44% of respondents said the government should be sincerely open to all opinions; 87.57% said there should be no violence; 82.03% said there must not be double-standards; 74.19% suggested that forums be held throughout the country to gather opinions; and 69.36% wanted all feuding parties to step back.

Asked who should take the leading role in backing off from conflict, 27.40% cited representatives and core members of various groups; 26.77% the prime minister; 24.37% the general population; 12.81% the government and officials; and 8.65% students and youths of the new generation.

Asked about their expectations of such a national brainstorm exercise, 75.12% said it was likely to be successful while the remaining 24.88% said that was unlikely.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (26)

Myanmar border crossers caught in Mae Sot

TAK: Seventeen Myanmar nationals, one a child, were arrested for illegal entry late on Sunday night on the bank of the Moei River in Mae Sot district by a patrol of the 4th Infantry Regiment.

11:35

Myanmar junta media accuse ethnic army of killing 25 workers

Myanmar's junta-controlled media on Monday accused an ethnic armed group of killing 25 construction workers in the east of the country after abducting a group of 47 people last month.

11:29

Two caught with 520kg marijuana

NAKHON PHANOM: A navy patrol seized 520 kilogrammes of compressed, dried marijuana and arrested two suspects during a search of a pickup in That Phanom district late on Sunday night.

11:10