Thailand’s first luxury outlet ‘Central Village’ sees success from quick and proactive moves to fight the pandemic
published : 24 Jun 2021 at 15:20
Intensive omnichannel strategy reaffirms its position as the leading destination for luxury brand-name shopping
Central Pattana plc., operator of Thailand’s first luxury outlet, Central Village, has announced its success in overcoming the COVID-19 crisis with its ‘Intensive omnichannel’ strategy that incorporates quick and proactive adjustments to both physical and online stores with a focus on utilising the strength of Central shopping centres nationwide to reach customers within and outside the catchment.
Despite the ongoing pandemic, the company has successfully used continuous marketing campaigns to stimulate spending, boost sales of tenant shops, increase traffic within the shopping centres, and help drive the Thai economy, reinforcing its position as the leader in the luxury outlet business in Thailand.
Dr. Nattakit Tangpoonsinthana, Executive Vice President of Marketing at Central Pattana, said, “Throughout the past two years, Central Village, as Thailand’s first complete luxury outlet, has pioneered this segment in the Thai market and never stopped delivering a world-class outlet shopping experience with over 220 world-renowned brands such as Chloé, Coach, Ermenegildo Zegna, Jimmy Choo, Kate Spade, Kenzo, Marimekko, Max & Co, MCQ, Michael Kors, Moschino, Outlet by Club21, Polo Ralph Lauren, Salvatore Ferragamo, Valentino, Vivienne Westwood, as well as Bath & Body Works, Coccinelle and Jim Thompson. We have received such overwhelming feedback from visitors, including Thai shoppers, expats and foreign tourists.”
“We have good insights into our customers, their lifestyles and changing behaviours. This allows Central Village to sail through any crisis, including the COVID-19 pandemic. We are able to adapt and adjust our plans to help the Thai people and our tenant partners, resulting in an apparent success story with good traffic and sales even during the pandemic peaks. This success reaffirms our positions as the first mover and the national player.”
Central Village’s key success formulas in fighting the pandemic with the intensive omnichannel strategies comprise:
1. Central Village has succeeded with its online shopping platform, becoming a leader in live streaming and launching ‘Luxury Outlet Chat & Shop On Demand’, the first of its kind service in Thailand.
The outlet has quickly adapted and proactively tapped into the market, proven by its key successes, such as a continuous sales growth of over 145% compared to Q4, 2020. Its strategy is highly effective in substituting the lower numbers of visiting tourists with 70% of Bangkok shoppers and 30% of upcountry and other shoppers.
- Central Village has become the first outlet in Thailand to launch live streaming sessions. These have received enormous responses, especially to ‘Golden Time’ offers. Numerous brands participated in the live streaming to offer exclusive promotions, which attract the largest numbers of shoppers for such activities. Views during the campaign period (Feb – Jun 2021) reached over two million.
- It also marked the launch of ‘Luxury Outlet Chat & Shop On Demand’ in Thailand, allowing shoppers the highest convenience from a full range of channels, including delivery, online and drive through. The service has enabled the outlet to reach shoppers within and outside the catchment.
2. Gaining ‘Unbeatable Advantage’ as Central Village benefits from Central shopping centres nationwide. In particular, central shopping centres located near a neighbouring country, such as Hat Yai and Udon Thani, help facilitate cross-border services of Central Village, connecting it to shoppers in ASEAN countries. Meanwhile, the outlet has strengthened partnerships with leading logistics providers to create a cross-border one-stop service, especially those in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar Vietnam and Malaysia.
Moreover, Central Village has intensively expanded its target to include expats, benefiting from the expertise of its partner Mitsubishi Estate Asia, the world-renowned real estate developer that is a subsidiary of the global real estate player Mitsubishi Estate.
The result of joint efforts of 33 Central shopping centres in Thailand, The Chat & Shop service is a perfect combination. It has created a strong customer base and enabled Central to track customers with high purchasing power at each shopping centre and cater to them with CRM marketing. Any shoppers anywhere can shop via the Chat & Shop service by adding its LINE Official Account @CentralVillage https://lin.ee/vwF2C3l
3. With a lifestyle insight, Central Pattana understands its customers and has created Central Village as an outlet that is much more than a shopping destination.
Central Village is a result of Central Pattana’s vision of creating a “centre of life” for the community it is located in, to attract high-end customers, including:
- The community of Affluent Families which include residents of mid-tier and high-end housing estates and those associated with international schools in Bang Na and Prawet districts. Over 60% of people in this group live within 15 kilometres of the outlet. Tops Market at the outlet caters to this group of people.
- The community of Urban Sport, including those active in trendy sports like skating, surf skating and rollerblading. The outlet has dedicated its spaces for sports and workout, attracting over 6,000 individuals per month who regularly come to the outlet for such purposes.
- The community of Luxurious Lifestyle, as Central Village is the meeting point of people who share a certain lifestyle. Supercar fans come to the outlet to use it as the starting point and become its high-end customers. Professional and casual photographers and models can enjoy Instagramable landmarks around the outlet, which give them a sense of travelling overseas. The landmark campaign last summer helped increase traffic by 20% in March 2021.
4. The best annual promotion has returned. Shoppers will be pleased with ‘Super Brand Grand Sales 2021’ which offers discounts of up to 90% and other on-top promotions.
The campaign is aimed at stimulating much-needed spending for the economy and helping shops release goods in stock accumulated during the pandemic. It is expected to help increase traffic by 20%. While enjoying the benefits from the campaign, visitors to the outlet can be assured of “Central’s Hygiene & Safety” measures.
Under the ‘Super Brand Grand Sale 2021’, shoppers can save up to 90% with the Weekly WOW Price offers. Participating brands include Polo Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Coccinelle, Kate Spade, Coach, Outlet by Club21, Michael Kors, Geox, Keds, Ripcurl and Jim Thompson.
More information about the campaign and promotions can be found at https://www.facebook.com/CENTRALVILLAGEfanpage/photos/pcb.784824672400411/784819409067604/
“We are confident that the situation in Thailand and around the world will gradually improve due to various factors. In Thailand, the public sector has set clear goals in accelerating the economic recovery, administrating mass vaccinations, opening up the country in 120 days, and relaxing certain measures to help businesses,” said Dr. Nattakit.
The ‘Super Brand Grand Sale 2021’ campaign lasts from 18 June to 31 July. ‘The 1’ members are eligible to receive many on-top Central Village cash vouchers, such as a cash voucher of 500 baht when spending 20,000 baht (for a total of 350 vouchers throughout the campaign period), a voucher of 1,500 baht when spending 50,000 baht (for up to 100 vouchers), and a voucher of 4,000 baht when spending 100,000 baht (for the first 10 customers).
VIP Exclusive Offers and Luxury Brands E-Vouchers will be given via SMS messages to The 1 TOP 20 and VIP Members. In addition, Chat & Shop Special Promotion is available with e-vouchers of 100 baht for 9,000 baht spent via the Chat & Shop channel (for a total of 100 vouchers). There is also Premium Redemption offer for 3,000 baht spent, allowing customers to buy Jurlique and Ruen Rom (Karmart) products at special prices.
Central Village, under the concept of ‘Bangkok Luxury Outlet’, is open every day from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm. Its Starbucks is open from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm and Tops Market from 8.00 am to 9.00 pm. More information can be found at the website http://www.centralvillagebangkok.com, LINE Official Account: @centralvillage, Facebook Page: Central Village, and Instagram Page: @centralvillagebangkok.