Islamic State supporters celebrate Manchester attack

Islamic State supporters celebrate Manchester attack

Concert-goers react after fleeing the Manchester Arena in northern England where US singer Ariana Grande had been performing in Manchester, Britain, May 22, 2017. (Reuters photo)
Concert-goers react after fleeing the Manchester Arena in northern England where US singer Ariana Grande had been performing in Manchester, Britain, May 22, 2017. (Reuters photo)

CAIRO - - Islamic State supporters celebrated on social media on Tuesday after a blast at a concert venue in the north of England killed at least 19 people, although the militant Islamist group has not formally claimed responsibility.

British police have said they are treating the blast at the Manchester Arena at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande as a "terrorist incident". More than 50 people were wounded.

Twitter accounts affiliated to Islamic State have used hashtags referring to the blast to post celebratory messages, with some users encouraging similar attacks elsewhere.

Some messages described the attack as an act of revenge in response to air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

"It seems that bombs of the British air force over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just came back to #Manchester," one user named Abdul Haqq said on Twitter, in reference to the Iraqi and Syrian cities held by the militants where a US-led coalition, of which Britain is a member, is conducting air strikes.

Supporters posted messages encouraging each other to carry out "lone wolf" attacks in the West and shared Islamic State videos threatening the United States and Europe.

One user said he hoped Islamic State was responsible for the attack, although no claim has appeared on any of the militant's group's official social media channels.

"We hope that the perpetrator is one of the soldiers of the caliphate," he wrote on a channel affiliated to the group hosted by messaging network Telegram.

Others posted banners saying "the beginning is in Brussels and Paris, and in London we form a state," in reference to previous similar "lone wolf" attacks in Belgium and France for which the group has claimed responsibility.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said the blast was being treated as a terrorist attack.

If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault on Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London's transport system in July 2005.

US officials drew parallels between the blast and the coordinated attacks in November 2015 by Islamist militants on the Bataclan concert hall and other sites in Paris, which claimed about 130 lives.

Two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said that initial signs pointed to a suicide bomber as being responsible for the blast. 


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (8)

Korat shooting victims to receive more money Wednesday

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will preside at the hand-over of additional remedial payments on Wednesday to victims of the Feb 8-9 shooting rampage, provincial governor Wichian Chantaranothai said on Tuesday.

12:09

Cabbie arrested for detaining, raping woman

A taxi driver wanted for the alleged detention and forcible rape of a woman in Bangk’s Bung Kum district has been arrested nearly three years later.

11:43

Virus update

Fear spreads as Westerdam passengers head home, Japan says all passengers will leave Diamond Princess by Friday; 1,868 dead, but most of 72,436 infections found 'mild'.

11:10