Canada mulls paying Harry, Meghan security costs

Canada mulls paying Harry, Meghan security costs

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there are 'discussions going on' as to whether his country will cover security costs for Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle (pictured November 2017) as they split their time between Canada and Britain.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there are 'discussions going on' as to whether his country will cover security costs for Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle (pictured November 2017) as they split their time between Canada and Britain.

MONTREAL: The Canadian government has yet to decide whether it will assume the security costs associated with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's decision to split their time between Canada and Britain, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday.

"I think that is part of the reflection that... needs to be had, and there are discussions going on," Trudeau said in an interview with Canadian television channel Global.

"We're not entirely sure what the final decisions will be, where the dispositions are and those are decisions for them," he said.

Harry and Meghan caught the world off guard last week when they announced their intention to step back from frontline royal duties.

According to Trudeau, Canadians are "very supportive" of having the royal couple live in Canada, but there are still "lots of discussions to have."

"We haven't spent any time thinking about this issue," said Canadian finance minister Bill Morneau, who was interviewed earlier Monday about British press reports that Trudeau had assured Queen Elizabeth II that Canada would cover security costs for Harry and Meghan.

"We obviously are always looking to make sure, as a member of the Commonwealth, we play a role," Morneau said.

British press had reported Canada would contribute $650,000 (19.7 million baht) per year.

Canadian media have estimated that protecting the couple and their baby son Archie would cost about $1.3 million per year.

Canadian taxpayers have traditionally contributed towards security costs when members of the Royal Family visit the country.

Prince Harry and Meghan, formally known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have said their official plan is to continue to "fully support" the queen and honour their duties to the Commonwealth and their patronages.

But they want to make 2020 a transition year to carve out their new role and launch their new Sussex Royal charitable entity and seek to raise their own sources of income.

On Monday, Queen Elizabeth II allowed her grandson Harry and Meghan to split their time between Canada and Britain.

But she frankly admitted that the couple's decision was not welcome news.



Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (24)

Europe seeks to ease vaccine concerns as virus curbs intensify

PARIS: Officials sought to ease concerns in Europe on Sunday about deliveries of coronavirus vaccines as nations across the world doubled down on restrictions to fight the rampaging pandemic.

20:45

Greek official axed after Olympian's sex abuse claim

ATHENS: A senior official at the Greek sailing federation has been forced to resign in the wake of sexual abuse allegations by one of the country's top Olympians, the governing body said.

18:45

Torrential rains hamper hunt for Indonesia quake survivors

Torrential monsoon rains hampered the hunt Sunday for anyone still buried alive under buildings flattened by a powerful earthquake on Indonesia's Sulawesi island, after the huge tremor killed at least 73 and left thousands homeless.

18:14