Japan confirms first case of infection with new China coronavirus

Japan confirms first case of infection with new China coronavirus

Public Health officials screen people arriving at Phuket and other international airports from Wuhan. (Photo by Achadtaya Chuenniran)
Public Health officials screen people arriving at Phuket and other international airports from Wuhan. (Photo by Achadtaya Chuenniran)

TOKYO: Japan confirmed the first case of infection from the new China coronavirus that has killed one person and prompted a travel alert from the US State Department.

A man in his 30s from Kanagawa prefecture, next to Tokyo, tested positive, Japan's Health Ministry said in a statement on Thursday. The man had been to the Chinese city of Wuhan, where there has been an outbreak of pneumonia believed to be caused by the new coronavirus strain, it said.

The State Department issued a health alert update on Wednesday about travel to the Wuhan region. It referenced a Watch Level 1 Alert by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urging citizens travelling in the region to avoid contact with animals, animal markets or animal products, among other precautions.

Thai health authorities said on Wednesday they were stepping up monitoring of passengers arriving at airports ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday, when 800,000 Chinese tourists are expected to visit the country.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said the new virus could spread and has warned hospitals worldwide.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause infections ranging from the common cold to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Some of the virus types cause less serious disease, while some - like the one that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) - are far more severe.

The Japanese patient returned from Wuhan this month with a fever and was hospitalised. He was released yesterday after the symptoms subsided, according to the ministry statement.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (4)

Japan emperor's birthday event cancelled due to virus outbreak

TOKYO: The Imperial Household Agency said Monday it has cancelled a public birthday event for Emperor Naruhito at the Imperial Palace scheduled on the weekend due to concern it could contribute to spread of the new coronavirus.

17 Feb 2020

Save Phu Kradueng

One of the most popular national parks was ravaged by a bushfire until it was brought under control 18 hours later.

17 Feb 2020

Ex-Pheu Thai boss jailed for two years

Former Pheu Thai leader Yongyuth Wichaidit will serve two years in jail after the Court of Appeal denied his request to appeal its ruling last year that found him guilty of allowing the sale of monastic land to make way for the Alpine golf course.

17 Feb 2020