French bus driver dies after attack over mask-wearing rules

French bus driver dies after attack over mask-wearing rules

Bus driver Philippe Monguillot was attacked after asking three passengers to wear face masks in line with coronavirus rules. (AFP photo)
Bus driver Philippe Monguillot was attacked after asking three passengers to wear face masks in line with coronavirus rules. (AFP photo)

BAYONNE, France: A French bus driver who was badly beaten by passengers after asking them to wear face masks in line with coronavirus rules has died, his family said, sparking tributes from political leaders who condemned his "cowardly" attackers.

Philippe Monguillot, 59, was left brain dead by the attack in the southwestern town of Bayonne last weekend and died in hospital on Friday, his daughter Marie said, after his family decided to switch off his life-support system.

"We decided to let him go. The doctors were in favour and we were as well," she told AFP.

Two men have been charged with attempted murder over the attack and prosecutor Jerome Bourrier told AFP that he would ask for the charges to be upgraded following Monguillot's death.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex led tributes to Monguillot.

"The Republic recognises him as an exemplary citizen and will not forget him. The law will punish the perpetrators of this despicable crime," he tweeted, describing the attack as "cowardly".

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin, who was due to meet some of Bayonne's bus drivers on Saturday and discuss the security situation, labelled it an "abhorrent act".

"The coward responsible must not go unpunished," he added.

Monguillot's family had organised a silent march in his honour on Wednesday, departing from the bus stop where the assault took place.

His colleagues refused to work after the attack but will resume work on Monday under stepped-up security arrangements, the local operator Keolis said.

This will include security agents being deployed on the long buses that operate in Bayonne and its surrounding area.

Three other people have been charged in connection with the attack, two for failing to assist a person in danger and another for attempting to hide a suspect, the prosecutor's office said.

The two charged with attempted murder are aged 22 and 23 and were previously known to police.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (56)

Tracing under way

Authorities are tracing 326 people who came in contact with a Thai woman in Chiang Mai who was diagnosed with Covid-19 and visited a mall among other places.

17:28

First made-in-China nuclear reactor online

BEIJING: China has powered up its first domestically developed nuclear reactor — Hualong One — a significant step in Beijing’s attempts to become less dependent on Western countries for energy security and critical technology.

16:03

Three die in rescue vehicle crash

TRAT: Two rescue workers and an injured man they were carrying died when their rescue vehicle struck a concrete pole and plunged into a reservoir in Muang district on Saturday morning.

14:42