UK police under fire after crackdown on vigil for murdered woman

UK police under fire after crackdown on vigil for murdered woman

Police officers scuffled with some members of the hundreds-strong crowd that gathered in the evening despite coronavirus restrictions for a candlelit tribute.
Police officers scuffled with some members of the hundreds-strong crowd that gathered in the evening despite coronavirus restrictions for a candlelit tribute.

LONDON: Police in London drew widespread criticism on Saturday after handcuffing mourners at a vigil for a woman who was murdered after setting out to walk home, in a case that has sparked a national debate about violence against women.

Officers scuffled with some members of the hundreds-strong crowd that gathered despite coronavirus restrictions for a candlelit tribute close to the spot where 33-year-old marketing executive Sarah Everard disappeared on March 3.

Reclaim These Streets -- who initially organised the event in south London's Clapham -- condemned the actions of officers "physically manhandling women at a vigil against male violence."

Social media footage showed police restraining and handcuffing some mourners, leading to an outpouring of criticism from across the political spectrum.

Both Home Secretary Priti Patel and London mayor Sadiq Khan said they had asked for explanations from the Metropolitan police over how the vigil was handled.

And Liberal Democrats leader Ed Davey called for Metropolitan police chief Cressida Dick to resign, having "lost the confidence of millions of women in London".

The murder of Everard, who vanished after setting out to walk home from a friend's flat, has shocked the country and brought discussion around women's safety to the fore once again.

Organisers had cancelled the vigil after police outlawed it because of Covid-19 restrictions, but hundreds still turned out, with tensions overspilling as Saturday night fell.

Mourners shouted "shame on you" at police, with tensions running high as a man arrested in connection with Everard's murder is an officer.

In the hours following the vigil, rage mounted with pressure groups and politicians condemning police actions.

Opposition Labour MP Harriet Harman condemned the "terrible" scenes at Clapham in a tweet, adding: "Met mishandled vigil plan from the outset. They should have reached agreement."

Labour leader Keir Starmer called the scenes "deeply disturbing" and also criticised the way the vigil was policed.

Caroline Nokes, the conservative chair of the women and equalities committee, said she was "truly shocked at the scenes from Clapham Common -– in this country we police by consent, not by trampling the tributes and dragging women to the ground".

And feminist direct action group Sister's Uncut tweeted late Saturday that "Metropolitan police officers waited for the sun to set before they started grabbing and manhandling women in the crowd."

- 'Unbearable pain' -

Wayne Couzens, 48, appeared in court earlier on Saturday charged with kidnap and murder following his arrest at his home in Kent, southeast England. The victim's body was discovered in a nearby wood.

Many more joined in a virtual tribute, including prime minister Boris Johnson and his partner, who lit a candle for Everard.

"I cannot imagine how unbearable their pain and grief is. We must work fast to find all the answers to this horrifying crime," he tweeted.

"I will do everything I can to make sure the streets are safe and ensure women and girls do not face harassment or abuse."

Organisers of the vigil said they hoped to raise £320,000 (13.7 million baht) for women's causes.

Earlier on Saturday Prince William's wife Kate visited the bandstand at Clapham Common, which has turned into a shrine for the victim.

Everard had visited friends in Clapham and was returning home to Brixton, about 50 minutes walk away, when she disappeared around 9.30pm.

The case has caused a political fallout, with MP Jess Phillips this week reading out the names of 118 women murdered last year.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Korea held responsible for 1968 massacre in Vietnam

A court in Seoul on Tuesday delivered a landmark ruling holding the South Korean government accountable for a massacre committed by its soldiers in the Vietnam War, ordering it to pay compensation.

21:16

PTTEP expects sales record in 2023

PTT Exploration and Production Plc (PTTEP) expects its sales of oil and gas this year will reach a new high of 470,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boed), driven by gas supply from the Erawan field in the Gulf of Thailand.

20:54

Parents warned: Pot snacks and kids don't mix

A doctor is warning parents to be cautious with cannabis-infused products, after an eight-year-old girl was admitted to hospital after developing a serious adverse reaction to gummy candies containing an extract of the plant.

20:42