Over 80,000 tourists trapped in 'China's Hawaii' after Covid outbreak

Over 80,000 tourists trapped in 'China's Hawaii' after Covid outbreak

FILE PHOTO: Vendors selling swimming accessories walk on Sanya Bay beach in Sanya, Hainan province, China, Nov 26, 2020. (Reuters)
FILE PHOTO: Vendors selling swimming accessories walk on Sanya Bay beach in Sanya, Hainan province, China, Nov 26, 2020. (Reuters)

Over 80,000 tourists are stranded in a resort city popularly known as "China's Hawaii" after a Covid-19 flare-up led authorities to impose strict travel restrictions.

Tourism hotspot Sanya is a city of more than a million people on the southern island of Hainan, where 483 Covid cases were reported Sunday.

All flights out of the city were cancelled over the weekend, with authorities also halting train ticket sales.

Tourists who want to leave must test negative in five PCR tests over seven days, health authorities said.

Hotels in the city have been asked to offer guests a 50% discount until the travel restrictions ease, an official said during a news briefing Saturday.

China is the only major economy still holding fast to a zero-Covid strategy with snap lockdowns and long quarantines, battering local tourism.

The country's borders have also remained largely closed since early 2020, halting international tourism.

The latest Covid outbreak comes during peak tourism season in Sanya, a popular surfing spot.

All entertainment venues including spas, karaoke bars and pubs have been closed since last week, but essential services such as supermarkets and pharmacies remain open.

Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (13)

Two Thai doubles pairs survive at World Tour Finals

Two doubles pairs from Thailand have advanced to the semi-finals of the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals following a busy day at Nimibutr Stadium in Bangkok on Friday.

9 Dec 2022

Army hospital first stop for freed athlete Griner

American basketball star Brittney Griner arrived back in the United States on Friday morning after being released from a Russian prison in exchange for Victor Bout, an arms dealer known as the “Merchant of Death”.

9 Dec 2022

Second move

Graft busters petition court to sack suspended cabinet minister and accused land encroacher Kanokwan Vilawan and ban her from politics for up to 10 years.

9 Dec 2022