Korat shooting victims to receive more money Wednesday

Korat shooting victims to receive more money Wednesday

People gather in front of the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Feb 11 to mourn victims of the Feb 8 shooting spree. (Photo from Terminal21 Korat Home)
People gather in front of the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Feb 11 to mourn victims of the Feb 8 shooting spree. (Photo from Terminal21 Korat Home)

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will preside at the hand-over of additional remedial payments on Wednesday to victims of the Feb 8-9 shooting rampage, provincial governor Wichian Chantaranothai said on Tuesday.

Mr Wichian said that when the provincial centre for assistance for victims stopped taking public donations on Sunday afternoon the fund stood at 82,869,229.20 baht. Of this, 29,200,000 baht had been paid out to some of the victims, leaving 53,669,229.20 baht in the bank account.

A provincial committee chaired by the governor on Sunday agreed on an additional payout. The families of 27 innocent people killed are to get another 1 million baht in addition to the 1 million baht paid previously, making a total of 2 million baht each.

Other payments to be made are:  2 million baht each for four injured people left with a permanent disability; 200,000 baht each for 17 people with serious wounds; 100,000 baht each for 12 people with moderate injuries; and 20,000 baht each for those who were slightly injured.

A total of 31,880,000 baht will be distributed on Wednesday.

After the deduction of 6 million baht as a reserve, there will be 15,789,229 baht left in the bank account. The remaining amount will be kept for a third round of remedial payments yet to be considered.

Of the 58 people wounded by the gunman, 23 are still being treated in hospitals - 17 at Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital, four at Khai Suranaree Hospital and two at Bangkok-Ratchasima hospital.



Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (6)

US economy purged 17m jobs amid pandemic

WASHINGTON: US unemployment is rising at a jarring rate, with data Thursday showing 17 million have lost their jobs since mid-March, as officials scramble to apply a tourniquet to stem the damage from the coronavirus pandemic.

9 Apr 2020

World faces new 'Great Depression' as virus toll mounts

BRUSSELS: World powers scrambled on Thursday to build a global response to the human tragedy and once-in-a-century economic catastrophe caused by the coronavirus epidemic, as death tolls in the US and Europe soared higher.

9 Apr 2020

Registration for free mobile internet starts Friday

The telecom regulator has given more details and tips on registering for 30-day free mobile internet and broadband speed upgrade ahead of the registration on Friday.

9 Apr 2020