Prison visit ban extended

Prison visit ban extended

Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).
Corrections Department director-general Narat Svetanan (centre).

The Corrections Department has extended its ban on visits to prisoners for another month, until May 31.

Director-general Narat Svetanan said on Thursday the extension corresponded with the government's extension of the state of emergency for another month to control the spread of coronavirus disease. 

Relatives and prisoners could instead communicate through the Line chat app, but relatives must not post online the recordings of the communications. Violators would be banned from online visits, he said.

The chief also said there were no new cases of Covid-19 infection in prisons.

There had been five to date - two prisoners who had already recovered, and three prison officials, one of whom had recovered, he said.


Do you like the content of this article?
COMMENT (1)

Activist opposes Sorrayuth's news comeback bid

Activist Srisuwan Janya has petitioned the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) opposing former newscaster Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda’s plan to resume his role on Channel 3, saying it is against the news profession's ethical code to allow the former anchor to take a lead role in presenting news on air again.

20 Apr 2021

Authorities to take advantage of early rainy season

The Office of the National Water Resources (ONWR) has been told to take advantage of the early arrival of the rainy season to stock up on water supply for next year's summer.

20 Apr 2021

20 crew missing after Philippine ship runs aground in typhoon

A search was under way Tuesday for 20 crew members missing in the Philippines after their cargo ship ran aground while seeking shelter from rough waters churned up by a typhoon, the coast guard said.

20 Apr 2021