Field hospitals in Samut Sakhon to be closed
Covid-19 situation under control, says health ministry
published : 11 Mar 2021 at 12:41
writer: Apinya Wipatayotin
Seven field hospitals in Samut Sakhon will probably be closed now that Covid-19 infections in the province have dropped to 30-50 cases a day, health permanent secretary for Public Health Kiattiphum Wongrajit said on Thursday.
Samut Sakhon was the epicentre of second Covid-19 wave that began in mid-December.
The situation had improved, and the outbreak was under control due to disease control measures. These included active case finding in communities, surveillance and "bubble and seal" measures at factories, he said.
At large factories, with a combined workforce of 50,474, about 10% of employees were infected and they were put in quarantine until they were free of the disease and developed immunity.
Factories had been asked to enforce DMHT measures (distancing, masks, hand washing and testing) for employees entering workplaces.
Daily infections in the province were now down to 30-50 people a day, Dr Kiattiphum said.
Health authorities had begun easing Covid-19 restrictions, and this would include a reduction in the number of hospital beds.
Field hospitals, which were set up to treat infected migrant workers, now had more vacant beds, with about 120 beds in use. Many beds were used unnecessarily.
The permanent secretary said the ministry had recently talked with the Samut Sakhon provincial public health chief about closing seven field hospitals, with 2,227 beds in total, out of the 10 field hospitals, with 4,127 beds.
After they were closed there would be three field hospitals with 1,900 beds left, which would be held in reserve in case there was an emergency situation.
If they were found to be unnecessary, more field hospitals would be closed, he said.